Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Waitemata Harbour

Auckland, Thursday;

Last evening I walked on North Head at sunset; the light was so terrific, I popped off many photos! From the old gun emplacement, I could see the wide panorama from Rangitoto Island on the left right round to the Harbour Bridge. What a view -- big ships moving in and out of Waitemata Harbour, all sorts of ferries, sailboats, fishing boats, the skyline of the centre city with the skyscrapers and the Sky Tower. The air is so clear one can see the mountains of Coromandel far to the southeast. For such a big city with major traffic congestion, there is no smog! To the north, on Cheltenham beach, the low tide had exposed a wide area of sand where kids were flying kites, windsurfers skidding around, people walking dogs, a very peaceful, beautiful scene.

The warm, sunny weather is changing, it seems winter -- or autumn rather -- starts in April. Althought the sun is hot on my skin, the breeze off the ocean has a nip in it, one needs a sweater evenings and mornings.

I'm writing this in the wonderful light of another sunrise, looks like another perfect Aotearoa day. Good morning, wherever you may be at this moment, Tchuss.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ian, I know it all so well. Wish I was in NZ at this time.
Did talk there today and family are fine. Enjoy yourself.
Have you climbed Mt. Victoria yet?
aloha Lilla

Ian Buchan said...

Kia ora! I've been exploring the lakes and volcanic wonders of Rotorua. The forests and lakes are just beautiful around Tarawera -- massive green tree-ferns and in between some lovely autumn foliage, reds, orange, yellows. What a diverse landscape. Ciao.

Anonymous said...

Ian, I tried before but this did not work. Enjoying NZ?
I will be there myself in May, Usually go every year to get my fix.
aloha Lilla

Anonymous said...

aloha Ian,
hope you continue toenjoy my home. I myself will go down under in May.
Keep it cosy for me
aloha Lilla

Ian Buchan said...

Hi Lilla, it's my last day before moving on the Perth. I had four good days in Dunedin and the Catlins, spectacular scenery. Saw some albatross and rare penguins, the best afternoon was Monday at Cannibal & Surat bays: many sea-lions, I had a ball photographing them. Surat bay is special, a pristine beach to myself, and not a single bit of man-made rubbish on it, just kelp, driftwood and shells -- and of course, birds and a dozen sealions. A day to remember for life.