The University was established in about 1922 as the Natal University College, with degrees awarded by the University of South Africa. Later the University became an independent entity, the University of Natal, awarding its own degrees. The buildings were spread over campuses in Pietermaritzburg and Durban. The School of Medicine (now re-named after Nelson Mandela) was attached to the Durban campus, but located on a different site.
I often go along there and stroll around the campus, to escape the traffic noise and congestion. Sometimes I visit the library; as a graduate I'm able to read reference material, but not to borrow. Recently I've taken my old Pentax camera along to try it out: the following photos are just some of the buildings on the older part of the campus.


The Cecil Renaud Library, recently modernised.
I trust you have enjoyed this brief tour of a small part of my home town. Everything is nice and green now, as it's summer down here, and there has been a generous fall of rain!





1 comment:
Lovely architecture. Lucky you for living so nearby and for having attended. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for visiting my blog today. :)
Post a Comment