Monday, August 11, 2008

Some Swiss pictures, and the Eisheiligen

"The world is so full of wonderful things,
I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings"
(R L Stevenson)




The great banqueting hall of Castle Chillon














Looking down on the Lower City, Fribourg, from the Upper!

















Route-sign, I think in Fribourg






This was at one of the monasteries near Zug, the Frauenthal or Abbey Muri.











As you've noticed, it was constantly overcast during the three days of our Jura tour: it was also exremely cold! One roadside bulletin board read 10°C, and on the Col des Mosses, at 1445m, I got quite chilled, and had to get into the car pretty quickly. Remembering June 2007, I'd taken summer clothes, and had to put on all the layers of clothing I could find in my suitcase, but it's all part of touring.

Traditional Swiss farmers' folklore has it that a sudden cold snap in mid-May is brought by the Eisheiligen, the "Icy Saints". My friend, who is well-versed in alpine weather conditions, said that there is, in fact some meteorological evidence to back this up; I suppose that it's a random event, but in May 2008 the Icy Saints certainly got their freezing winds into this man!

No comments: