Sunday, August 10, 2008

Some more news from Switzerland




Email from Regensburg, Bavaria (catching up), dated 28th May:


But to flash back: I stopped last time in the Jura, where we followed the central valley between the ridges of the Jura, the Val de Traversa. Further down the valley got very narrow, and the river D'Areuse goes into a deep gorge. There we had a curious incident: because of the dense forest there were no opportunities for good photo views, so R_____ stopped at a lay-by; this turned out to be a side road to the Gorges D'Areuse, so he went a short way to look for somewhere to turn: the road got narrower and steepened to 12%, there was rather a comical discussion as to whether to go on, which was unknown territory, or turn back, which of course was by now impossible! We must have dropped a couple of hundred metres on the narrow winding road, until at last we came to the river, where there was (typically Swiss!) a small hotel/restaurant! We stopped a while and explored a short way down the river, I saw a trout in the clear water, and a big grey heron was fishing, he flew off as we passed. Now came the inevitable amicable discussion - go back up the awful road, or continue along a forest track that seemed to go down the gorge towards Neuchâtel: of course the intrepid tourists took the risky unknown, which turned out to hbe a felicitous choice. Although badly pot-holed, it was tarred, and went through the narrowest, most spectacular, part of the gorge D'Areuse. Suddenly we popped out of the forest at a vilge called Boudry, from where it was a few minutes to Neuchâtel.

Although it was afternoon, and we still had to get back to Zug by 8pm, R___ parked there and we had a walk around - nice traffic-free streets, and some fine old buildings. I bought a book & some cards, and we had tea and apple tart (inside, as it was still cold), and then we set off for Zug. R____ took the motorway via Luzern, I thought we might be delayed till midnight, but incredidbly we did it in 2 hours, there were no traffic jams, which is unusual in Switerland.

This by now must be quite long, but the internet cafè charges per EURO at a time so I've just had to take another hour, but so what, it's happy holidays. Quickly through Thurs-Sun, Thursday was an easy day, we went to a remarkable private park/nursery/botanical garden called Seleger Moor - the most fantastic collection of rhododendrons, azaleas, water-lilies etc. I thought KZN had good azaleas, but the colours here are amazing, I think gardeners would give a lot to get their hands on them! Friday R____ had to go back to work, so as his spouse had a day off, she took me to the Stanserhorn, a peak just to the south of Luzern. Very organised, one ticket includes the return train fare, and the fare for the cableway to the top. Terrific views from the top, after lunch I told C____ I would make it a "challenge" to reach the summit beacon, and I made it: slowly!





Saturday was an ordinary shopping day, I went with R____, who shops for groceries every Saturday, and bought some warm clothes and a bright red Swiss football T-shirt (I wonder if I have the nerve to wear that in Hayfields!), and then we went up the cableway to the Zugerberg. It was a much clearer day, the view was great, lakes and mountains - but sorry, I left the camera behind, the views are all in my memory!

Time to go back to the hotel, which they've now kindly opened(!), this Internet cafè has been in lieu of my nap. I must say it's very convenient, 5 min from hotel, it's cool and a kind lady brings me peppermint tea. The toilet also is clean & smells nice.Hope you are all well, thank for messages, there are sundry postcards on the way (not necessarily in the right order), I'm here tomorrow then on to Freiberg.

wishing you all that's good,

Aufwiedersehn (hope right spelling!).
pics of Neuchâtel:






No comments: